Saturday, June 7, 2014

Sunday Staff Profiles: The People of Perelandra


One of the things that makes Perelandra so special is our wonderful staff! We are fortunate to have employees are from all over the world with very diverse skill sets and backgrounds, and they are instrumental in creating the "great energy" that our store is famous for. Our customers rely on our staff to answer their questions, help them find what they're looking for, suggest products and to be a friendly face in this big city. Get to know Chris, Perelandra's Bookkeeper, in this weeks staff profile.

Photo from this interview with Chris on Fightland.vice.com


Name: Chris

Hometown: Queens!

How long have you lived in New York City?
My entire life.

Length of time working at Perelandra:
Almost 3 years.

What are your favorite products at Perelandra?
“All of the fresh produce – whatever is fresh and in season is great.”

“The fresh focaccia that the kitchen makes on Thursday – I buy it like a religion.” 

“Lundberg short grain sweet brown rice – it’s nutrient dense and it goes well with all of the different types of cuisine that I like- Asian, Indian, Italian, etc.”

What is your favorite thing about working at Perelandra?
Definitely the organizational competency – I like the way it’s run, and I like the amount of thought that gets put into the decisions that go into place.

What's the most important thing you've learned since you started working here?
The level of research necessary to make decisions when running a business – it pays to take your time to make one right move, once.

Favorite Book
East of Eden by John Steinbeck. The message of the book is that your life is in your hands and the opportunity is there for you, but - it is really up to you to take it.

Favorite music
I really like a group called Electric Masada, it’s an all instrumental jazz rock combination. I also really like Miles Davis ‘In a Silent Way’ and Metallica’s ‘Master of Puppets’.

Interesting facts
I spend most of my time as a visual artist doing wood engravings – I am a historian of the sport of fighting and my wood engravings will one day be in the MMA hall of fame.

I am a self-taught bookkeeper- I learned it after watching others do it for many years. It is a great way to balance my aspirations as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment