Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sunday Staff Profiles: The People of Perelandra

One of the things that makes Perelandra so special is our wonderful staff! We are fortunate to have employees are from all over the world with very diverse skill sets and backgrounds, and they are instrumental in creating the "great energy" that our store is famous for. Our customers rely on our staff to answer their questions, help them find what they're looking for, suggest products and to be a friendly face in this big city. Get to know Remoy, who is at customer service generalist at Perelandra, and started here more than 8 years ago! You'll see him most frequently in our produce department, his favorite place in the store to work. Get to know him in this week's staff profile. 

 


Name: Remoy

Hometown: Amarillo, TX

How long have you lived in New York City?
8 years

Length of time working at Perelandra:
This is my third time working at Perelandra. I worked here during school, and I just got back from living in Portugal for a while, but I started originally 8 years ago.

What are your favorite products at Perelandra?

Dr. Bronners Lavender Castille Soap: "It smells great, and a little goes a very long way with this stuff! I have never experienced that with soap before."

Macro-Vegan Samosa Dumplings: "It's like a samosa, but it's a dumpling! And they're delicious cold."

Synergy Trilogy Kombucha: "It's super refreshing when it's hot."

What is your favorite thing about working at Perelandra?

"I really love working in the produce department because we work directly with farms and small distributors, and I like to know that I am working closely with small farms and farmers directly.  

"Also, it has always been a special place to me. It was my first job in New York. Growing up in Texas, I had no concept of consumption responsibility, and after working here for a few months I drastically changed my diet, and it changed my mentality on many things. The staff challenged me on things that I didn't expect, and I have made some of my best friend here. 7 years later I still see lots of the same customers and they remember me, and talk to me. And I always feel like I am part of a family here."

 


What's the most important thing you've learned since you started working here?

"Being responsible for your consumption habits. People take it for granted. It's a mentality that will trickle down if you start with your food consumption. It affects the way you think about a lot of things. So many people consume things without regard for much else other than taste or desire, and once you put in the idea of what it means to consume and how to be responsible for what you put into your body it makes you more aware and more sensitive to the daily habits that have become routine."
 

Favorite Book: "The Secret Lives of People in Love" by Simon Van Booy

Favorite musician/music: I like anything top 80/contemporary. I also like country because it reminds me of home (Texas!)

 

Some things we love about Remoy:

"He has a delightfully complex intellect." -Keith

"He is really intelligent. He is also a really cool guy and he works really hard." -Hannia

"I have known Remoy for a long time, and beneath his alternately pensive and witty veneer, there is a truly enlightened guy" -James

"Remoy is a tremendously good and kind person. He is thoughtful, funny, smart and very self-aware" -Allison


No comments:

Post a Comment